The F-94 was designed and developed to meet a USAF need as an all weather interceptor to replace the venerable Northrop P-61 Black Widow of WWII and the North American F-82 Twin Mustang.
First flight was in Spring 1949 with an eventual total of 855 aircraft produced, including all variants. Originally the F-94A and B models were greatly upgraded versions of the Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star Trainer, and utilized a great number of the same components. The main differences with the F-94 were an afterburning engine, lengthened nose with guns, and the addition of radar for all weather interception of adversary aircraft, mainly Soviet. Later versions such as the F-94C were substantially modified, to include lengthening the nose again to accommodate the replacement of guns with 2.75 inch rockets, wing mounted rocket pods and a new engine to provide increased engine thrust.
The museum's aircraft is an early F-94A. Here is what is known regarding this aircraft's operational history:
Manufactured by Lockheed Aircraft, Burbank, CA, and delivered to the USAF on August 4, 1950.
AUG 1950: To 2750th Air Base Wing (Air Materiel Command), Wright-Patterson AFB, OH (to EF-94A).
APR 1951: To Wright Air Development Center (Air Research and Development Command), Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
MAR 1952: To Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Buffalo, NY.
NOV 1955: To JF-94A.
NOV 1958: Dropped from inventory by donation to school museum.